This chapter applies to marketing devices and techniques which are used to make products more attractive by providing some promotional item, whether in cash or in kind, or the expectation of such a benefit. The chapter applies irrespective of the form of distribution or of media, including digital (e.g. websites) and audiovisual media. It also applies to sales and trade incentive promotions, to editorial promotional offers and to those made by audiovisual media.
Promotions are usually temporary activities, but the chapter applies also to the long-term and permanent use of promotional techniques.
The chapter covers all forms of sales promotion, including
- premium offers of all kinds;
- reduced price and free offers;
- the distribution of stamps, coupons, vouchers and samples;
- charity-linked promotions;
- prize promotions of all kinds, including incentive programmes;
- promotional elements used in connection with other marketing communications, such as direct marketing or sponsorships.
The chapter does not cover the routine distribution of product supplements or accessories of a non-promotional nature.